[Talk-GB] Public Rights of Way mapping guidance for Wiki

ael witwall3 at disroot.org
Thu Jan 7 12:21:21 UTC 2021

On Thu, Jan 07, 2021 at 10:54:51AM +0000, SK53 wrote:
> I think this idea ignores a basic need to keep contributing to OSM simple
> for people who do not suffer from OCDS. OSM is not a repository of legal
> information the map data is ultimately a practical tool to enable people to
> do things. The number of people who wish to document discrepancies between
> the definitive map/statement and what is on the ground is vastly smaller
> than those who merely wish to use OSM to help them find a walk & navigate
> along it.
>
> We'd do well not to lose sight of this.

+1.

I had been contributing to OSM for at least a year, maybe several,
before I became aware that those tags were intended to indicate the
legal status. I took them to have the natural meaning: is
walking/riding/etc possible or sensible here?

Some time, I may perhaps amend all the stuff I tagged on that basis in
my early years.

ael