[Talk-GB] Quarterly Project 2020Q1

James Derrick lists at jamesderrick.org
Thu Jan 7 13:37:49 UTC 2021

On 06/01/2021 16:51, ndrw wrote:
> I propose mapping new-built housing areas. Bing imagery has recently
> been updated (in most places, anyway) and is of decent enough quality
> that mapping residential roads, parks and building outlines without a
> survey is possible.

Bing has released much fantastic high-resolution imagery which shows
many additional features, however it's worth noting that other providers
such as Esri and Maxar have newer data in my area of Northumberland.

The challenge is imagery is often mis-aligned and offsets are always
required across multiple imagery providers with the primary being
downloaded GPX traces. Over Christmas I've armchair updated all of the
construction=residential I've been cycle surveying over Summer and even
with my own averaged GPSr traces, imagery offsets are a necessary PITA.

Hints in changeset comments, and source=* tags on buildings can help
later alignment.

> These areas are often not covered by commercial products (even OS
> tends to lag a bit) so OSM could be of immediate use to new residents
> and delivery services.

Very true - a curious resident asking why I have a GPSr camera once
enthusiastically shook my hand in excitement that they might have way of
showing friends where they live! :-)

Even rough highway geometry and construction is a lot more useful than
landuse=meadow.

James

James
--