[Talk-GB] Traditional Counties and Vice Counties

Nick Whitelegg nick.whitelegg at solent.ac.uk
Fri Jan 8 17:36:24 UTC 2021

I would agree that generation plays a part.

My formative years were in the 'modern but not current' era, if you see what I mean (1974-200x), so I have always thought of Southampton as in Hampshire (rather than a unitary authority,, as it is now) BUT Bournemouth as in Dorset (even though apparently before 1974 it was in Hampshire. Culturally one could argue Bournemouth as a seaside resort perhaps has more in common with Dorset than Hampshire, but don't want to get into a flame war over this 😉 )

It's not just generation though.. I think if you were brought up in a given area, you relate to the pre-74 counties however old you are. To take an example - the use of 'Avon' to describe the Bristol and Bath area has always seemed natural to me , but someone of my age who studied on my masters' course and was brought up in the Bath area hates it!

Nick