[Talk-GB] Correcting an unsafe cycle route onto Homerton High St

SK53 sk53.osm at gmail.com
Fri Jan 15 20:08:59 UTC 2021

If you look at Bing Streetside
<https://www.bing.com/maps?cp=51.548552~-0.049997&lvl=17&dir=301.333&style=x&v=2&sV=1>
(which we allowed to use), you can see back in 2012 the pedestrian safety
barrier which is now a short stretch by the pedestrian crossing was much
longer and extended beyond the Isabella Road junction. This may partially
explain some aspects of the junction with the plaza. The plaza itself will
almost always mean adding 'virtual' or artificial paths to aid routing.
Martin from CycleStreets covered the nature of such problems presented by
the OSM data model in his talk at SotM
<https://2019.stateofthemap.org/sessions/DW7WW8/> in Heidelberg.

Homerton High Street is a red route, a clear indication that it has high
traffic volumes, which could potentially be used alongside its status as a
primary 'A'-road. However, I'm not aware of a tag for this.

Jerry