[Talk-GB] Gate Pillars (Old Houses & Estates)

Tony Shield tonyosm9 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 19 14:38:04 UTC 2021

HI

I can't find on wiki anything which describes gate pillars.

Often found at the entrance to a substantial estate, and often about 2
metres in height with a base of say 1 metre squared, often with special
carving, inscriptions and shapes. For many of them the previously hung
gates have been removed.

Historic England have listed some of them in my locality -

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1072466 -
four of them with no gates attached.

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1204419 - two
of them with modern gates attached so I have listed as barrier=gate,
however this may be inadequate.

As these are listed they fall within the quarterly project of Tourism.

Any advice as to how to tag them gratefully accepted.