[Talk-GB] "designated" and "permissive" confuse new people

Robert Skedgell rob at hubris.org.uk
Sat Oct 2 17:45:29 UTC 2021

On 02/10/2021 18:10, Jon Pennycook wrote:
> On a related note, I wonder how we can persuade new people not to
> explicitly list all the things that might possibly be forbidden on a
> path/footway - access=destination/ foot=yes/ motor_vehicle=no/ horse=no
> on an ordinary urban footway seems over the top (as well as confusing).

That would require the iD developers to stop offering a list of access
tags which are likely to be redundant or irrelevant if the highway type
is correctly tagged. I suspect new users see this list of drop down
boxes for every(?) highway type and, perhaps not unreasonably, think
they're supposed to complete all of them.