[Talk-GB] "designated" and "permissive" confuse new people

David Woolley forums at david-woolley.me.uk
Sat Oct 2 17:53:11 UTC 2021

On 02/10/2021 18:10, Jon Pennycook wrote:
> On a related note, I wonder how we can persuade new people not to
> explicitly list all the things that might possibly be forbidden on a
> path/footway - access=destination/ foot=yes/ motor_vehicle=no/ horse=no
> on an ordinary urban footway seems over the top (as well as confusing).

Have you analysed these for:

1) the use of dumbed down mapping tools;

2) more generally the editor used;

3) indications of out of country armchair mapping.

It's my impression that (1) and (3) have been causes of poor quality
mapping, at least in the past.

I guess tools could indicate country specific assumptions, when
providing arrays of check boxes, and give detailed explanations
(although simply greying out is probably wrong, as there may be cases to
override assumptions - maybe greyed with and without a check mark?), and
request confirmation for commonly misunderstood options, but I suspect
the tools are largely table driven and their table interpreters may not
be flexible enough to do this.

Incidentally, access=destination should be treated as exceptional for
foot paths and "footways"; it is not a redundant statement of of a
country default.