[Talk-GB] Mapbox mapping activity

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 20 13:24:30 UTC 2021

On 20/09/2021 13:50, Sonya Khilchyk via Talk-GB wrote:
> We already notified you at the end of August that we plan to start a
> mapping project.

... and since then I think that it's fair to say that "questions have
been raised about the approach and quality of the edits performed".

> We updated our wiki page
> <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Organised_Editing/Activities/Resolve_linting_issues_in_the_UK>
> and ticket <https://github.com/mapbox/mapping/issues/387> with json
> files, so you can get more information about items we are working with.

No we can't.  Searching either
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Organised_Editing/Activities/Resolve_linting_issues_in_the_UK
or https://github.com/mapbox/mapping/issues/387 for json finds nothing.
A table has been added but it adds literally no value - it does not
explain how these alleged problems were detected, what each one
represents, or how Mapbox propose to resolve the issues. The wiki page
says "We will use existing OpenStreetMap editing tools" but that's about
as useful as this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1sM29zGxeo .

Often what seems to happen is that the Mapbox mapper is simply removing
something that is getting flagged up as "invalid" without investigating
whether anything is mismapped at all.  Mapbox mapper's "solutions" have
included "adding a cycleway without survey to prevent vehicle routing"
(the actual problem was that a gate, visible on aerial imagery, was
missing from OSM and their router was buggy) and "just deleting a road"
(the actual problem there seems to be that the road exists, but is a
path not open to vehicle traffic).  My experience of Mapbox's mapping
local to me is that it is actually _reducing_ the quality of OSM data by
removing features that people have tried to add but haven't quite got
right, or that have become broken by some other mapper than didn't
understand the feature.

For everyone else's benefit, the Mapbox employees taking part in the
exercise seem to be from
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Mapbox#Current_Data_Team_members

Based on the quality of these individuals' editing so far, I would
regard any edits by these users with great suspicion.

Best Regards,

Andy