[Talk-ht] Need Help Managing Mapping Requests

Jean-Guilhem Cailton jgc at arkemie.com
Fri Jan 29 09:45:38 GMT 2010

Sorry Margie,

Please forget about the acronyms.

Make 2 lists (on 2 paper sheets)
- what
- how

The items in the "what" list are products.

The items in the "how" list are tasks, work.

People, "who", are (later) linked to the task they work on.

Ok so far ?

You have taken care to write the items on the LHS of the page.

When an item is too big to be handled at once, you split it, with lines
going towards the right of the page. In 2, 3 or more pieces, as requested.

Ok ?

(You've just got yourself so called "breakdown structures")

Now, a little trick to make it easier to keep track of the connection
between products and tasks : numbering.

Let me take an example from the wiki / Mapping :

"_What_" needs to be mapped

Street names :
- product 1 = street names

- task 1 = enter street names in OSM

Petit Goave :
- product 2 = Petit Goave map

- task 2 = mapping Petit Goave

etc...

OK so far ?

Now splitting, to make the pieces more manageable :
- product 11 = street names North of PaP
- product 12 = street names South of PaP

and also :
- task 11 = finding street names North of PaP
- task 12 = finding Street names South of PaP

etc...

Ok ? Well, that's about all there is to it.
(them acronyms :)

Then maybe :
- product 21 = street names in Petit Goave
- task 21 = finding street names in Petit Goave

(it seems to me that this is better as 21 than 13, but another choice
can be make, depending eg. on how the work gets done.
Eg, if a big index of all street names in Haiti were available, then
maybe 13 would be a better numbering for these than 21.
Let's just get going and improve later if needed, as with the wiki.)

I was going to forget, "Who". For example :
- Georgia group 1 is going to work on task 11
- Georgia group 2 is going to work on task 12
- Washington group is going to work on task 2
(just making this up completely at random of course, please do not
actually do this)

And then, each group can _split_ the work within itself.

Next, would you like a big whiteboard, that everybody can read and write
at the same time ?
At the same time from Washington and from Georgia ?

You can use a shared spreadsheet, a kind of Google Doc.

If you go thru this little formalism, then, naturally, the senses of
direction will appear.

If you don't, people will keep wasting time wondering : "where can I be
useful", instead of actually working.

Organizers, Mikel, etc, are welcome to define the content of the lists,
and to coordinate on them, of course.

The big organizer Mikel was calling for has not stepped forward yet.
Let's try to make the task more manageable by splitting it, too.

Hoping this helps (and believing it really could)

Jean-Guilhem

Margie, for pixelated WMS images (or sometimes blank ones where they
should not be), right click on the WMS layer name, and choose Change the
resolution ("Changer la résolution" in French)