[Talk-ht] Haiti slum kmz?

Mikel Maron mikel_maron at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 8 09:30:40 BST 2011

Hi Nora

Sorry for the delay in reply, getting situated in Jerusalem for this month.

In Haiti (and elsewhere) I'm involved in OpenStreetMap
[http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/WikiProject_Haiti]. The Humanitarian
OpenStreetMap Team [http://hot.openstreetmap.org/weblog/category/haiti//]
organized a remote response following the quake, and over the past year has been
working with COSMHA, the local OpenStreetMap organization. So all the data there
has been collected within OpenStreetMap, using both GPS survey and aerial
imagery digitization (which includes Bing imagery, and other sources, but not
Google because of licensing issues). Slum boundaries would be known by the local
mappers; the definition of a slum in Haiti is not universal, but in short, I
believe they're applying the "local" definition of what constitutes an informal
settlement.

Where exactly did you find this kmz? I'm happy to coordinate and connect you
with the team in Haiti, and see if we can come up with more useful data for your
research.

-Mikel

 == Mikel Maron ==
+14152835207 @mikel s:mikelmaron