[Talk-ht] Re [activation hotosm] Hurricane Matthew response : Imagery/UAV coordination and support to local Haitian UAV capacities

Blake Girardot bgirardot at gmail.com
Sam 8 Oct 18:41:34 UTC 2016

I agree, we have to do things we do not like.

I would like nothing more than to have the capacity, expertise and
local authority contacts to be able to coordinate or sponsor UAV
missions. That is what I would like.

I would love to be able to somehow make them happen, but I and HOT as
an organization just do not have that capacity so we can not do that.

There is an organization that has that capacity, expertise and
organizational contacts, that is UAviators. It would be the height of
irresponsibility for myself or HOT as an organization to attempt
coordinate or launch UAV operations, as much as I wish we could,
especially when there is a professional organization that is already
doing that.

Non-professionally coordinated UAV operations in a disaster airspace
can ground fleets of full scale aircraft providing relief and
reconnaissance operations and cost lives. Air operations in a disaster
area are serious business and not for amateurs to just do because they
have a drone and 3 batteries. Fred as a professional UAV pilot
recognizes this, unfortunately, we are not the organization
responsible for those activities. UAviators is.

Again, Fred and Nico are the professionals in this area, they are the
natural folks to take this on and work with UAviators to get Fred
flying his missions.

There just is not any more HOT can do as it relates to this issue.
Continued discussion of it is a distraction to what HOT can do, which
is organize and support remote mapping in response to requests from
responding organizations.

Regards
Blake