[OSM-talk-ie] Dublin Bus Stops

Richard Cantwell manaboutcouch at gmail.com
Wed Sep 8 09:42:16 BST 2010

On 8 September 2010 01:14, Dermot McNally <dermotm at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8 September 2010 01:04, Nick Burrett <nick at sqrt.co.uk> wrote:
>> I read in the Irish Times maybe 1 week ago that a student from DCU has
>> created a map of all Dublin transport, including all bus stops. Maybe it is
>> possible to talk to that person and get them to donate their info? I have no
>> idea if that includes GPS data for each stop but the general route maps
>> might be useful.
>
> That'd be interesting, depending where he got his data from. The more
> sources, the merrier, with any luck one of them will be clean.

I think the report in the Irish times that Nick is referring to was
about this map:
http://www.venetikidis.com/aris/Dublin-Transport_MA_files/DublinRapidNetwork_2.jpg

It was created by a Masters student in NCAD as part of his degree in
design.  You can read more about his thesis here:
http://www.venetikidis.com/aris/Dublin-Transport_MA.html

Unfortunately, for our purposes, the map is aspirational and doesn't
show the existing bus network, but shows a proposed new system
instead.  The maps are very nice indeed, but like the iconic Harry
Beck London Underground maps they distort reality in order to make the
map as legible as possible.

Regards,

Richard
www.geographic.ie