[OSM-talk-ie] A couple of questions from a newbie

moltonel 3x Combo moltonel at gmail.com
Fri Mar 27 21:43:10 UTC 2015

On 27/03/2015, Rachel Murphy <rachel.harwood.murphy at gmail.com> wrote:
> Also, another Tipperary map I'd like to work on has already been uploaded
> and looks to be georectified - does this mean I should just go ahead and
> start digitising those townlands while I wait for the map I've requested?

Yes, feel free to edit a different part of the map if for some reason
you can't yet work on the part you want.

> And how can I tell if someone else was planning on digitising that same
> section?  I wouldn't want to take over a section that someone else had
> intended working on.

You shouldn't worry too much about editing at the same time as
somebody else, otherwise it'd stop you from doing anything at all. The
best advice when you're in doubt is to upload frequently.

If you're unlucky enough to try uploading something that was modified
by somebody else after your initial download, the editor will tell you
and allow you to fix the conflict before uploading. See
https://josm.openstreetmap.de/wiki/Help/Concepts/Conflict and ask on
IRC if it looks too complicated.

As for guessing wether somebody else is working in the area, there are
some urls that can help:
http://www.itoworld.com/map/130?lon=-7.76790&lat=53.51262&zoom=8&fullscreen=true
http://simon04.dev.openstreetmap.org/whodidit/?zoom=12&lat=53.35843&lon=-6.24512&layers=BTT
http://www.townlands.ie/progress/activity/