[OSM-talk-ie] Talk-ie Digest, Vol 70, Issue 9

Patrick Matthews mullinalaghta at gmail.com
Sun Mar 29 13:31:10 UTC 2015


Rachel,

If you click on the Export tab in Mapwarper you'll see that the tiles for
this map are at:

http://mapwarper.net/maps/tile/1924/{z}/{x}/{y}.png

If the image hasn't already been added to the GSGS layer, you can go into
JOSM, then go to Imagery Preferences, and then add it as a TMS layer by
clicking on the "Add TMS" button.

Its imagery level would be entered as:

tms[18]:http://mapwarper.net/maps/tile/1924/{z}/{x}/{y}.png (the [18]
refers to the maximum zoom level)

and you can give it a name like "Cloughjordan sheet".

You can then use it as an independent layer until such time as it's added
to GSGS.

Paddy Matthews.

On Sun, Mar 29, 2015 at 1:18 PM, Dave Corley <davecorley at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Rachel,
>
> In josm, on the top menu, go to imagery menu and you want the 3906 layer.
> Its British War Office 3906 or something like that.
>
> Dave
> On 29 Mar 2015 13:12, "Rachel Murphy" <rachel.harwood.murphy at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > A basic question but grateful for any assistance!  I've followed the flow
> > chart on the wiki, and identified the map I wanted to digitise in
> mapcraft,
> > where the owner is haribo. The map is http://mapwarper.net/maps/1924
> > also IRL-GSGS-3906-17-17-NE-Cloghjordan.tif.
> >
> >
> > When I follow the link in mapwarper I can see that the map has been
> > cropped, georeferenced with 30 green and blue points and aligns to osm.
> The
> > history shows it was last worked on in December 2014.
> >
> > My understanding is that because the work has been completed in
> mapwarper,
> > I can go to josm and just start tracing townland boundaries if these
> > haven't been done already. What I'm not sure about is how I add the map
> > layer into josm and I couldn't find the instructions for this in the
> > videos.  I'm sure it's a simple step but would be grateful if someone
> could
> > let me know how do it correctly or point me in the direction of the
> > instructions.  I have installed the townland boundary settings in josm
> > already so should be good to go after that.
> >
> > Many thanks,
> >
> > Rachel
> >
> > On 28 March 2015 at 12:00, <talk-ie-request at openstreetmap.org> wrote:
> >
> > > Send Talk-ie mailing list submissions to
> > >         talk-ie at openstreetmap.org
> > >
> > > To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
> > >         https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-ie
> > > or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
> > >         talk-ie-request at openstreetmap.org
> > >
> > > You can reach the person managing the list at
> > >         talk-ie-owner at openstreetmap.org
> > >
> > > When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
> > > than "Re: Contents of Talk-ie digest..."
> > >
> > >
> > > Today's Topics:
> > >
> > >    1. Re: Irish boundaries map layer updates (Dave Foley)
> > >    2. Re: Irish boundaries map layer updates (Dave Corley)
> > >    3. Re: Irish boundaries map layer updates (Donal Diamond)
> > >    4. A couple of questions from a newbie (Rachel Murphy)
> > >    5. Re: A couple of questions from a newbie (moltonel 3x Combo)
> > >    6. Re: Irish boundaries map layer updates (Dave Corley)
> > >
> > >
> > > ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> > >
> > > Message: 1
> > > Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2015 20:17:57 +0000
> > > From: Dave Foley <dafo43 at outlook.ie>
> > > To: Discussion of OpenStreetMap in Ireland <talk-ie at openstreetmap.org>
> > > Subject: Re: [OSM-talk-ie] Irish boundaries map layer updates
> > > Message-ID: <DUB129-W565EDC5839850850082D34BA090 at phx.gbl>
> > > Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
> > >
> > > Great work Donal, that's really useful for checking mistakes with the
> > > boundaries.
> > >
> > > Dafo
> > >
> > > > Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2015 22:53:43 +0000
> > > > From: donal.diamond at gmail.com
> > > > To: talk-ie at openstreetmap.org
> > > > Subject: [OSM-talk-ie] Irish boundaries map layer updates
> > > >
> > > > The map layers showing Irish boundaries is now updated every 15
> > minutes.
> > > >
> > > > This includes county/barony/civil parish/ed and townlands.
> > > >
> > > > The map server starts updates at 05/20/35/50 minutes past the hour
> and
> > > > should have all Irish edits up to 00/15/30/45 minutes past
> > respectively.
> > > > Updates should take about 2 minutes.
> > > >
> > > > I also updated the townland layer to show area in fractional acres
> from
> > > > zoom 14 onwards. This may help you compare the acreage value shown on
> > the
> > > > GSGS3906 maps to help spot obvious errors.
> > > >
> > > > For example, I picked a spot at random below and you can see that
> there
> > > are
> > > > a few areas that have the wrong acreage due to some townlands being
> > > missed:
> > > >
> > > >
> > >
> >
> http://maps.openstreetmap.ie/oocmaps.html?zoom=15&lat=53.71215&lon=-6.91047&layers=000B0TFFFFTFFF
> > > >
> > > > eg Barfordstown is reported as 482 acres as we actually included  two
> > > > townlands Barfordstown 283 acres and Boolies 198 acres. There's a
> > similar
> > > > issue with Calliaghstown nearby.
> > > >
> > > > When comparing fractional acres and  ARP (acres,roods, perches) on
> the
> > > map,
> > > > bear in mind that:
> > > > 1 acre = 4 roods
> > > > 1 rood = 40 perches
> > > >
> > > > You'll also notice a small difference in the acreage size reported by
> > > > townlands.ie and the map layer. That is due to the map layer
> > > transforming
> > > > to Irish Grid when calculating the area to get a slightly more
> accurate
> > > > calculation. Townlands.ie has to do a lot more analysis so uses a
> > > different
> > > > spatial reference system.
> > > >
> > > > Anyway hope it helps.
> > > >
> > > > D
> > > > _______________________________________________
> > > > Talk-ie mailing list
> > > > Talk-ie at openstreetmap.org
> > > > https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-ie
> > >
> > >
> > > ------------------------------
> > >
> > > Message: 2
> > > Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2015 20:21:24 +0000
> > > From: Dave Corley <davecorley at gmail.com>
> > > To: Discussion of Open Streetmap in Ireland
> > >         <talk-ie at openstreetmap.org>
> > > Subject: Re: [OSM-talk-ie] Irish boundaries map layer updates
> > > Message-ID:
> > >         <
> > > CAHwD_AFT5YcDJ2TVV6tKpbMjZVkg3S_k-kQvGKq7tF647Ha+0A at mail.gmail.com>
> > > Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
> > >
> > > Completely agree, this is fantastic
> > >
> > > Can I ask, is it possible to make all layers appear on the same zoom
> > > levels, e.g. The cp's can't be viewed when zoomed out far enough to see
> > the
> > > whole island.
> > > On 27 Mar 2015 20:19, "Dave Foley" <dafo43 at outlook.ie> wrote:
> > >
> > > > Great work Donal, that's really useful for checking mistakes with the
> > > > boundaries.
> > > >
> > > > Dafo
> > > >
> > > > > Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2015 22:53:43 +0000
> > > > > From: donal.diamond at gmail.com
> > > > > To: talk-ie at openstreetmap.org
> > > > > Subject: [OSM-talk-ie] Irish boundaries map layer updates
> > > > >
> > > > > The map layers showing Irish boundaries is now updated every 15
> > > minutes.
> > > > >
> > > > > This includes county/barony/civil parish/ed and townlands.
> > > > >
> > > > > The map server starts updates at 05/20/35/50 minutes past the hour
> > and
> > > > > should have all Irish edits up to 00/15/30/45 minutes past
> > > respectively.
> > > > > Updates should take about 2 minutes.
> > > > >
> > > > > I also updated the townland layer to show area in fractional acres
> > from
> > > > > zoom 14 onwards. This may help you compare the acreage value shown
> on
> > > the
> > > > > GSGS3906 maps to help spot obvious errors.
> > > > >
> > > > > For example, I picked a spot at random below and you can see that
> > there
> > > > are
> > > > > a few areas that have the wrong acreage due to some townlands being
> > > > missed:
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > >
> > >
> >
> http://maps.openstreetmap.ie/oocmaps.html?zoom=15&lat=53.71215&lon=-6.91047&layers=000B0TFFFFTFFF
> > > > >
> > > > > eg Barfordstown is reported as 482 acres as we actually included
> two
> > > > > townlands Barfordstown 283 acres and Boolies 198 acres. There's a
> > > similar
> > > > > issue with Calliaghstown nearby.
> > > > >
> > > > > When comparing fractional acres and  ARP (acres,roods, perches) on
> > the
> > > > map,
> > > > > bear in mind that:
> > > > > 1 acre = 4 roods
> > > > > 1 rood = 40 perches
> > > > >
> > > > > You'll also notice a small difference in the acreage size reported
> by
> > > > > townlands.ie and the map layer. That is due to the map layer
> > > > transforming
> > > > > to Irish Grid when calculating the area to get a slightly more
> > accurate
> > > > > calculation. Townlands.ie has to do a lot more analysis so uses a
> > > > different
> > > > > spatial reference system.
> > > > >
> > > > > Anyway hope it helps.
> > > > >
> > > > > D
> > > > > _______________________________________________
> > > > > Talk-ie mailing list
> > > > > Talk-ie at openstreetmap.org
> > > > > https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-ie
> > > >
> > > > _______________________________________________
> > > > Talk-ie mailing list
> > > > Talk-ie at openstreetmap.org
> > > > https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-ie
> > > >
> > >
> > >
> > > ------------------------------
> > >
> > > Message: 3
> > > Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2015 20:47:40 +0000
> > > From: Donal Diamond <donal.diamond at gmail.com>
> > > To: Discussion of OpenStreetMap in Ireland <talk-ie at openstreetmap.org>
> > > Subject: Re: [OSM-talk-ie] Irish boundaries map layer updates
> > > Message-ID:
> > >         <
> > > CAB4yhm4BcLn6T9K-8PzECkW-6bUrc-njcH+r4RZN0eT1Ayj5+g at mail.gmail.com>
> > > Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
> > >
> > > All boundaries should start appearing at zoom 7 now.
> > >
> > > Also changed the townland map layer to show  ARP rather than fractional
> > > acres.
> > >
> > > Hope this helps...
> > >
> > > D
> > >
> > > On 27 March 2015 at 20:21, Dave Corley <davecorley at gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > > Completely agree, this is fantastic
> > > >
> > > > Can I ask, is it possible to make all layers appear on the same zoom
> > > > levels, e.g. The cp's can't be viewed when zoomed out far enough to
> see
> > > the
> > > > whole island.
> > > > On 27 Mar 2015 20:19, "Dave Foley" <dafo43 at outlook.ie> wrote:
> > > >
> > > > > Great work Donal, that's really useful for checking mistakes with
> the
> > > > > boundaries.
> > > > >
> > > > > Dafo
> > > > >
> > > > > > Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2015 22:53:43 +0000
> > > > > > From: donal.diamond at gmail.com
> > > > > > To: talk-ie at openstreetmap.org
> > > > > > Subject: [OSM-talk-ie] Irish boundaries map layer updates
> > > > > >
> > > > > > The map layers showing Irish boundaries is now updated every 15
> > > > minutes.
> > > > > >
> > > > > > This includes county/barony/civil parish/ed and townlands.
> > > > > >
> > > > > > The map server starts updates at 05/20/35/50 minutes past the
> hour
> > > and
> > > > > > should have all Irish edits up to 00/15/30/45 minutes past
> > > > respectively.
> > > > > > Updates should take about 2 minutes.
> > > > > >
> > > > > > I also updated the townland layer to show area in fractional
> acres
> > > from
> > > > > > zoom 14 onwards. This may help you compare the acreage value
> shown
> > on
> > > > the
> > > > > > GSGS3906 maps to help spot obvious errors.
> > > > > >
> > > > > > For example, I picked a spot at random below and you can see that
> > > there
> > > > > are
> > > > > > a few areas that have the wrong acreage due to some townlands
> being
> > > > > missed:
> > > > > >
> > > > > >
> > > > >
> > > >
> > >
> >
> http://maps.openstreetmap.ie/oocmaps.html?zoom=15&lat=53.71215&lon=-6.91047&layers=000B0TFFFFTFFF
> > > > > >
> > > > > > eg Barfordstown is reported as 482 acres as we actually included
> > two
> > > > > > townlands Barfordstown 283 acres and Boolies 198 acres. There's a
> > > > similar
> > > > > > issue with Calliaghstown nearby.
> > > > > >
> > > > > > When comparing fractional acres and  ARP (acres,roods, perches)
> on
> > > the
> > > > > map,
> > > > > > bear in mind that:
> > > > > > 1 acre = 4 roods
> > > > > > 1 rood = 40 perches
> > > > > >
> > > > > > You'll also notice a small difference in the acreage size
> reported
> > by
> > > > > > townlands.ie and the map layer. That is due to the map layer
> > > > > transforming
> > > > > > to Irish Grid when calculating the area to get a slightly more
> > > accurate
> > > > > > calculation. Townlands.ie has to do a lot more analysis so uses a
> > > > > different
> > > > > > spatial reference system.
> > > > > >
> > > > > > Anyway hope it helps.
> > > > > >
> > > > > > D
> > > > > > _______________________________________________
> > > > > > Talk-ie mailing list
> > > > > > Talk-ie at openstreetmap.org
> > > > > > https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-ie
> > > > >
> > > > > _______________________________________________
> > > > > Talk-ie mailing list
> > > > > Talk-ie at openstreetmap.org
> > > > > https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-ie
> > > > >
> > > > _______________________________________________
> > > > Talk-ie mailing list
> > > > Talk-ie at openstreetmap.org
> > > > https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-ie
> > > >
> > >
> > >
> > > ------------------------------
> > >
> > > Message: 4
> > > Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2015 20:57:44 +0000
> > > From: Rachel Murphy <rachel.harwood.murphy at gmail.com>
> > > To: talk-ie at openstreetmap.org
> > > Subject: [OSM-talk-ie] A couple of questions from a newbie
> > > Message-ID:
> > >         <CAM=
> > > dXaRdJL3v4vxM-0zsb+mEoNstVcs3NcwWzqWv9wLxdr1BbQ at mail.gmail.com>
> > > Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
> > >
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I'd like to request map 20/15 NW, please (Tipperary).
> > >
> > > Also, another Tipperary map I'd like to work on has already been
> uploaded
> > > and looks to be georectified - does this mean I should just go ahead
> and
> > > start digitising those townlands while I wait for the map I've
> requested?
> > >
> > > And how can I tell if someone else was planning on digitising that same
> > > section?  I wouldn't want to take over a section that someone else had
> > > intended working on.
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance,
> > >
> > > Rachel
> > >
> > >
> > > ------------------------------
> > >
> > > Message: 5
> > > Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2015 21:43:10 +0000
> > > From: moltonel 3x Combo <moltonel at gmail.com>
> > > To: Discussion of OpenStreetMap in Ireland <talk-ie at openstreetmap.org>
> > > Subject: Re: [OSM-talk-ie] A couple of questions from a newbie
> > > Message-ID:
> > >         <CANQow5LKJBp0bXXov9G8ZnirGtgz__Tf+JN=
> > > KxvcsaUZ1nLASw at mail.gmail.com>
> > > Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
> > >
> > > On 27/03/2015, Rachel Murphy <rachel.harwood.murphy at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > > Also, another Tipperary map I'd like to work on has already been
> > uploaded
> > > > and looks to be georectified - does this mean I should just go ahead
> > and
> > > > start digitising those townlands while I wait for the map I've
> > requested?
> > >
> > > Yes, feel free to edit a different part of the map if for some reason
> > > you can't yet work on the part you want.
> > >
> > > > And how can I tell if someone else was planning on digitising that
> same
> > > > section?  I wouldn't want to take over a section that someone else
> had
> > > > intended working on.
> > >
> > > You shouldn't worry too much about editing at the same time as
> > > somebody else, otherwise it'd stop you from doing anything at all. The
> > > best advice when you're in doubt is to upload frequently.
> > >
> > > If you're unlucky enough to try uploading something that was modified
> > > by somebody else after your initial download, the editor will tell you
> > > and allow you to fix the conflict before uploading. See
> > > https://josm.openstreetmap.de/wiki/Help/Concepts/Conflict and ask on
> > > IRC if it looks too complicated.
> > >
> > > As for guessing wether somebody else is working in the area, there are
> > > some urls that can help:
> > >
> > >
> >
> http://www.itoworld.com/map/130?lon=-7.76790&lat=53.51262&zoom=8&fullscreen=true
> > >
> > >
> >
> http://simon04.dev.openstreetmap.org/whodidit/?zoom=12&lat=53.35843&lon=-6.24512&layers=BTT
> > > http://www.townlands.ie/progress/activity/
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > ------------------------------
> > >
> > > Message: 6
> > > Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2015 22:10:23 +0000
> > > From: Dave Corley <davecorley at gmail.com>
> > > To: Discussion of OpenStreetMap in Ireland <talk-ie at openstreetmap.org>
> > > Subject: Re: [OSM-talk-ie] Irish boundaries map layer updates
> > > Message-ID:
> > >         <CAHwD_AE9oeN7hS3ZR9Sj255=RSa7=
> > > E3CUjee74A8G4Ni7cw4kw at mail.gmail.com>
> > > Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
> > >
> > > That was quick!
> > >
> > > Thanks Donal
> > >
> > > On Fri, Mar 27, 2015 at 8:47 PM, Donal Diamond <
> donal.diamond at gmail.com>
> > > wrote:
> > > > All boundaries should start appearing at zoom 7 now.
> > > >
> > > > Also changed the townland map layer to show  ARP rather than
> fractional
> > > > acres.
> > > >
> > > > Hope this helps...
> > > >
> > > > D
> > > >
> > > > On 27 March 2015 at 20:21, Dave Corley <davecorley at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > >
> > > >> Completely agree, this is fantastic
> > > >>
> > > >> Can I ask, is it possible to make all layers appear on the same zoom
> > > >> levels, e.g. The cp's can't be viewed when zoomed out far enough to
> > see
> > > the
> > > >> whole island.
> > > >> On 27 Mar 2015 20:19, "Dave Foley" <dafo43 at outlook.ie> wrote:
> > > >>
> > > >> > Great work Donal, that's really useful for checking mistakes with
> > the
> > > >> > boundaries.
> > > >> >
> > > >> > Dafo
> > > >> >
> > > >> > > Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2015 22:53:43 +0000
> > > >> > > From: donal.diamond at gmail.com
> > > >> > > To: talk-ie at openstreetmap.org
> > > >> > > Subject: [OSM-talk-ie] Irish boundaries map layer updates
> > > >> > >
> > > >> > > The map layers showing Irish boundaries is now updated every 15
> > > >> minutes.
> > > >> > >
> > > >> > > This includes county/barony/civil parish/ed and townlands.
> > > >> > >
> > > >> > > The map server starts updates at 05/20/35/50 minutes past the
> hour
> > > and
> > > >> > > should have all Irish edits up to 00/15/30/45 minutes past
> > > >> respectively.
> > > >> > > Updates should take about 2 minutes.
> > > >> > >
> > > >> > > I also updated the townland layer to show area in fractional
> acres
> > > from
> > > >> > > zoom 14 onwards. This may help you compare the acreage value
> shown
> > > on
> > > >> the
> > > >> > > GSGS3906 maps to help spot obvious errors.
> > > >> > >
> > > >> > > For example, I picked a spot at random below and you can see
> that
> > > there
> > > >> > are
> > > >> > > a few areas that have the wrong acreage due to some townlands
> > being
> > > >> > missed:
> > > >> > >
> > > >> > >
> > > >> >
> > > >>
> > >
> >
> http://maps.openstreetmap.ie/oocmaps.html?zoom=15&lat=53.71215&lon=-6.91047&layers=000B0TFFFFTFFF
> > > >> > >
> > > >> > > eg Barfordstown is reported as 482 acres as we actually included
> > > two
> > > >> > > townlands Barfordstown 283 acres and Boolies 198 acres. There's
> a
> > > >> similar
> > > >> > > issue with Calliaghstown nearby.
> > > >> > >
> > > >> > > When comparing fractional acres and  ARP (acres,roods, perches)
> on
> > > the
> > > >> > map,
> > > >> > > bear in mind that:
> > > >> > > 1 acre = 4 roods
> > > >> > > 1 rood = 40 perches
> > > >> > >
> > > >> > > You'll also notice a small difference in the acreage size
> reported
> > > by
> > > >> > > townlands.ie and the map layer. That is due to the map layer
> > > >> > transforming
> > > >> > > to Irish Grid when calculating the area to get a slightly more
> > > accurate
> > > >> > > calculation. Townlands.ie has to do a lot more analysis so uses
> a
> > > >> > different
> > > >> > > spatial reference system.
> > > >> > >
> > > >> > > Anyway hope it helps.
> > > >> > >
> > > >> > > D
> > > >> > > _______________________________________________
> > > >> > > Talk-ie mailing list
> > > >> > > Talk-ie at openstreetmap.org
> > > >> > > https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-ie
> > > >> >
> > > >> > _______________________________________________
> > > >> > Talk-ie mailing list
> > > >> > Talk-ie at openstreetmap.org
> > > >> > https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-ie
> > > >> >
> > > >> _______________________________________________
> > > >> Talk-ie mailing list
> > > >> Talk-ie at openstreetmap.org
> > > >> https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-ie
> > > >>
> > > > _______________________________________________
> > > > Talk-ie mailing list
> > > > Talk-ie at openstreetmap.org
> > > > https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-ie
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > ------------------------------
> > >
> > > Subject: Digest Footer
> > >
> > > _______________________________________________
> > > Talk-ie mailing list
> > > Talk-ie at openstreetmap.org
> > > https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-ie
> > >
> > >
> > > ------------------------------
> > >
> > > End of Talk-ie Digest, Vol 70, Issue 9
> > > **************************************
> > >
> >
> >
> >
> > --
> > Rachel Murphy
> >
> > Twitter: https://twitter.com/rachelmurphy
> > LinkedIn: ie.linkedin.com/in/rachelmurphy
> > Academia: http://ucc-ie.academia.edu/RachelMurphy
> > _______________________________________________
> > Talk-ie mailing list
> > Talk-ie at openstreetmap.org
> > https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-ie
> >
> _______________________________________________
> Talk-ie mailing list
> Talk-ie at openstreetmap.org
> https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-ie
>


More information about the Talk-ie mailing list