[OSM-talk-ie] Local chapter application by OpenStreetMap United Kingdom

moltonel at gmail.com moltonel at gmail.com
Wed Apr 19 11:17:55 UTC 2017

On 18 April 2017 20:40:06 IST, Colm Moore <colmmoore72 at hotmail.com> wrote:
>Paul,
>
>About 12% of my edits are in the UK, mostly Northern Ireland, with a
>strong leaning to power and some other networks.
>

>I have no particular opinion on this, other than there are certain
>practicalities that make treating the island of Ireland as a single
>geographical / mapping entity useful, e.g. the shared border, the
>history of places / land administration (county, barony, townland,
>etc.). This isn't just about boundaries, but also physical
>infrastructure (e.g. the A3 has 5 border crossings), Ireland / Northern
>Ireland don't use standard gauge railways (one exception) and
>businesses (e.g. some banks operate on both sides of the border and
>there is a single electricity market, where companies operate on both
>sides of the border). That said, there are other businesses that
>operate only in Britain and Northern Ireland (some banks) or Britain
>and the Republic (Aldi).
>

>That said, just because a chapter covers a particular region, doesn't
>mean it can't have friendly relations with its neighbours. :) And it
>doesn't stop people mapping across borders.
>

>Note that the crown dependencies are not part of the UK, although there
>are obvious parallels.

I too live in ROI but include NI in my mapping activities (and Brexit won't change that :p). OSMIE (http://www.openstreetmap.ie/about-osmie/) has AFAIK stalled its progress towards becoming an OSMF local chapter, but I'm sure this'll eventually get done, and we'll want to include the whole island under the same umbrella.

I trust that it isn't a problem for the OSMF if NI is covered by two distinct OSMF local chapters ?
--
Vdp
Sent from a phone.