[OSM-talk-ie] Local chapter application by OpenStreetMap United Kingdom

Dave Corley davecorley at gmail.com
Wed Apr 19 12:23:15 UTC 2017

Rob raised this in the past.

If I recall, past discussions on this subject (NI) and under which group it
should fall, was treated similar to the way the passport situation has been
managed i.e. Those wanting to fall under the UK, registered with the UK
group, those wanting to fall under the All Ireland group, register with
that group.

If there were conflicts, they would be managed by the group they were
raised to.

If there was some other major change / issue, both groups would work
together to achieve a successful conclusion.

With all that said, I do not see any special caveats called out for NI that
would reflect any of the above, so yes, I would like to raise an
objection/concern.

Simply put, there are folks who will not recognise/resent a single group
covering NI. This needs to be factored into the chapter documents.

I believe that a discussion to hash out the finer details is warranted and
an agreed set of terms laid out between both entities. Once we get moving
on our chapter status, this would be included in ours also.

Dave

On 19 Apr 2017 12:19, <moltonel at gmail.com> wrote:

On 18 April 2017 20:40:06 IST, Colm Moore <colmmoore72 at hotmail.com> wrote:
>Paul,
>
>About 12% of my edits are in the UK, mostly Northern Ireland, with a
>strong leaning to power and some other networks.
>

>I have no particular opinion on this, other than there are certain
>practicalities that make treating the island of Ireland as a single
>geographical / mapping entity useful, e.g. the shared border, the
>history of places / land administration (county, barony, townland,
>etc.). This isn't just about boundaries, but also physical
>infrastructure (e.g. the A3 has 5 border crossings), Ireland / Northern
>Ireland don't use standard gauge railways (one exception) and
>businesses (e.g. some banks operate on both sides of the border and
>there is a single electricity market, where companies operate on both
>sides of the border). That said, there are other businesses that
>operate only in Britain and Northern Ireland (some banks) or Britain
>and the Republic (Aldi).
>

>That said, just because a chapter covers a particular region, doesn't
>mean it can't have friendly relations with its neighbours. :) And it
>doesn't stop people mapping across borders.
>

>Note that the crown dependencies are not part of the UK, although there
>are obvious parallels.

I too live in ROI but include NI in my mapping activities (and Brexit won't
change that :p). OSMIE (http://www.openstreetmap.ie/about-osmie/) has AFAIK
stalled its progress towards becoming an OSMF local chapter, but I'm sure
this'll eventually get done, and we'll want to include the whole island
under the same umbrella.

I trust that it isn't a problem for the OSMF if NI is covered by two
distinct OSMF local chapters ?
--
Vdp
Sent from a phone.