[OSM-talk-ie] Complicated addresses

Colm Moore colmmoore72 at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 11 03:24:38 UTC 2019

Hi,

I'd welcome some thoughts on this.

I went on a survey to Greenogue, Rathcoole, Co. Dublin during last week. 1,400 photos taken. :)

There are two large industrial estates at Greenogue. They seem to follow a common design and share some services. There is some unconnected industrial and residential properties outside the estates.

The industrial estates are so big that they are divided into zones, shown on maps and street signs:
* Greenogue Business Park (comprising Blue Zone, Green Zone, Orange Zone, Red Zone)
* Aerodrome Business Park (Yellow Zone).

I've set the industrial estates using landuse=industrial and the zones with place=locality. All the roads seem to be privately owned and are not controlled by the council. I've set the named roads (generally have footpaths, verges, no parking) as highway=unclassified and other roads as highway=service (generally have no footpaths, no verges, but have parking). The highway=unclassified roads have gates that can close them off to traffic - I don't know how often this happens, it could be nightly, weekly or occasional. I think it best to have these roads as highway=unclassified as they are publicly usable for most of the time people want to use them and they get mapped in a way that makes the area legible.

Some of the businesses have 'own gate' sites, while other sites are ungated and have many occupiers in 'own door' units. Each of these buildings may be subdivided into 2-30 semi-detached / terraced industrial units. Some sites have entrances on more than one road (the semi-unique block numbers mean this is OK). Some of the highway=service roads are private (on 'own gate' sites), while others are open to the public on a permissive basis. I generally haven't assigned a name to highway=service roads, although all the buildings on these roads take the street name of the nearest highway=unclassified.

The management company has a map here: http://www.greenoguebusinesspark.com/getting-around-greenogue/ but it isn't quite up to date. They have similar maps dotted around the roads. As you can see, every site / building has a number, letter or both. The 'own door' units also have a unit number. I'm not inclined to plagiarize the management company map so I can map the individual units (to much bother :)).

In certain cases, e.g. Block 503, there are about 76 units split across 4 buildings, in the one 'block'.

I've mapped nearly 200 businesses, mostly as nodes and have another ~50 to go, although I didn't get to survey the northern part of the site. I've mapped them as nodes so that I can deal with issues where there are many users in one building / site and deal more easily with any errors I've made.

In the address hierarchy, there are:
* The two industrial estates.  <---- Ignore
* The zones. <---- Ignore
* The named roads.  <---- OK
* The block numbers, which may be a multi-user site or a single-user building.  <---- Do I use the building=* addr:housenumber=* field for this?
* The unit numbers.  <---- Do I use the building=* name=* field or the building=* addr:housename=* field for this?
* The business names. <---- It's OK, they are on separate nodes.
* Some businesses then name their buildings.  <---- Arrrrggghhhh!!!!

Any thoughts on how I should proceed with the names and addresses of (a) buildings and (b) businesses? Do I change building "A" to "Block A" when filling the or the name=* field or the addr:housenumber=* field?

Thank you

Colm