[Talk-in] What about tagging... Some guideling on wiki?

Pradeep B V pradeepbv at gmail.com
Thu Nov 6 15:39:22 GMT 2008

Find my suggestions inline.. (some are from OSM wiki
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Map_Features and others from
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Tagwatch)

On Thu, Nov 6, 2008 at 5:50 PM, Tanveer Singh <tanveer1979 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am a little confused about how to tag certain POIs and landmarks. On
> the Delhi map its all random
> 1. Malls with shops and restaurants and cinema halls?

 amenity=multiplex
 shop=mall
 restaurants=yes

(with a reasonable assumption that multiplex usually has shops and
restraunts)

> 2. Malls with shops and eating only

shop=mall
restraunts=yes

> 3. Govt buildings like high court, President house, parliament

building=government

> 4. Markets. For example a row of 10-15 shops.

 amenity=market

> 5. Banks with ATM. I cannot give the same point two tags of bank+atm

a bank (for a bank that also has an ATM, use
amenity<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Key:amenity>
=bank <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Tag:amenity%3Dbank> and
atm<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php?title=Key:atm&action=edit&redlink=1>
=yes<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php?title=Tag:atm%3Dyes&action=edit&redlink=1>)

> 6. Other govt buildings like exibition centers, RTDC office etc.,
> etc., State bhawans.... you get the gist

building=government or
amenity=public_building<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Tag:amenity%3Dpublic_building>

> Some consensus would be great, and then we can start fixing thing

for now use what you feel is right.

It will slowly bubble up through the Tagwatch.

- P