[Talk-in] Server for map in Indian languages

Kenneth Gonsalves lawgon at au-kbc.org
Wed Oct 29 12:16:42 GMT 2008

On Wednesday 29 October 2008 02:18:21 pm Gora Mohanty wrote:
> Are you looking at just a server that serves Indian-language
> data, or one on the Indian backbone, and more accessible to
> Indian users, at least in big cities? If the former, it
> probably makes more sense to just ask OSM itself to host
> data localised into Indian languages.

I would think we would need the latter - it is not just languages - there is a
hell of a lot of l10n involved, for example, in classification of cities,
towns and villages - we have metros, corporations, municipalities - 3 grades
of them, town panchayats,  village panchayats, panchayat unions, districts,
taluks, blocks, tehsils, divisions, sub-divisions and all kinds of other
things, many unique to India and it will never be possible for the planetwide
renderers to render all this. All these tags would be on the main osm
database also. It needs a lot of research, thought and discussion. So I am
looking to see if I can get some tentative numbers of what we could be
needing to see if funding can be arranged.

Associate