[Talk-in] Newly joined this list... Have been mapping for some time

Kenneth Gonsalves lawgon at au-kbc.org
Thu Oct 30 09:54:14 GMT 2008

On Thursday 30 October 2008 02:57:56 pm Gora Mohanty wrote:
> > Another area I have been mapping is Noida.
> > In future when I have enough GPS trails, I will try to map HP roads,
> > but due to low resolution of any satellite imagery for that area, its
> > turning out to be a near impossible task. If anybody has any bright
> > ideas about how to go about fixing, that, it will be great.
>
> Is the imagery that bad that one cannot identify roads even
> with actual GPS tracks?

here is 'satellite imagery' of the city of Coimbatore - can you see anything?
This is the situation in 90% of India.

http://openstreetmap.org/edit?lat=11&lon=76.96667&zoom=12

> We have tonnes of GPS tracks, but I am not finding the time to
> map them, despite many promises. Would someone be willing to
> take up the work if we make GPS tracks available?

as a first step please upload *all* the tracks to OSM, and make sure they are
public. This is a great aid for the casual mapper. Next we can start nagging
potential casual mappers (I am good at that)

Associate