[Talk-in] Border state | districts

Harshad RJ harshad.rj at gmail.com
Fri Dec 11 03:58:23 GMT 2009

On Fri, Dec 11, 2009 at 7:53 AM, H.S.Rai <hardeep.rai at gmail.com> wrote:

> If I make a paper map of India, I will show state borders, and when I
> make map of state, then district's border will be shown.

Err.. there seems to be some communication gap. Perhaps I didn't understand
your question.

I was talking more at the contributor + renderer internals level; about how
data is created, stored and edited in the system. It can still be presented
to the user (viewer) in the way you describe.

To elaborate, when I first imported the district maps from the shapefile
into OSM using the shape2osm script, it created separate node tags for the
points on every district's boundary. The XML was around 9MB.

I later modified the script to "share" the nodes between adjacent
boundaries, and the data came to around 5MB.

So, this is what I mean by not having "separate" boundaries: shared <node>
tags, but ofcourse, separate <way> tags.

--
Harshad RJ
http://hrj.wikidot.com