[Talk-in] Mumbai

Shekhar Krishnan shekhar at crit.org.in
Sun Mar 8 20:05:48 GMT 2009

As I've said on the list before, the Mumbai data is very inaccurate. The
demo which we built at http://mumbai.freemap.in is now more than three
years old (see below for the old WMS URLs which you can load in JOSM to
view and trace as layers for OSM).

I have spent the past several months cleaning up and georeferencing the
datasets which comprise the Mumbai Freemap to extract layers with proper
boundaries and labels. See this example:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/shekhark/3328870654/sizes/o/

After a fair amount of working transforming line tracings into polygon
features using Grass and ArcGIS, I now have complete layers for plots,
buildings, and areas reserved under the municipal development plan. I am
working on creating center lines for roads, railways and highways from
the outlines I have.

I want to contribute these to OSM to eventually replace the existing
coverage. We have more than 600,000 buildings in the geodatabase, and
more than 100,000 planned areas like playgrounds, schools, parks,
housing, industry, etc.

We will also soon have complete district, village and municipal coverage
for Vasai-Virar and Maharashtra. I am happy to share these shapefiles
with anyone who is ready to help me develop shp2osm tools. Arindam and I
have collected some links here:

http://delicious.com/tag/shp2osm

Best,

Shekhar
--

WMS URLs (use in QGIS or JOSM)

Road Network (Lines)
http://mumbai.freemap.in/wms.cgi?srs=epsg:4326&format=image/png&request=GetMap&service=WMS&version=1.1.1&layers=road_net_line_4326

Buildings (Polygons)
http://mumbai.freemap.in/wms.cgi?srs=epsg:4326&format=image/jpeg&request=GetMap&service=WMS&version=1.1.1&layers=building_polygon_4326

Building Outlines (Lines)
http://mumbai.freemap.in/wms.cgi?srs=epsg:4326&format=image/jpeg&request=GetMap&service=WMS&version=1.1.1&layers=building_line_4326

Municipal Reserved Areas (Polygons)
http://mumbai.freemap.in/wms.cgi?srs=epsg:4326&format=image/jpeg&request=GetMap&service=WMS&version=1.1.1&layers=reserved_polygon_4326

Like I've said on the list before, I'm waiting for someone to help with
converting these shapefiles into OSM.