[Talk-in] Local Chapter for India

Kiran Jonnalagadda jace at pobox.com
Sat Oct 3 09:00:49 BST 2009

On Sat, Oct 3, 2009 at 1:06 PM, Subhodip Biswas <subhodipbiswas at gmail.com>wrote:

> Oh! my bad, Kiran's  post came in the same time as mine.
> Anyways nice set of plans and good proposal.However Four workshops in
> four regions.is that the plan?

We have to sort that out before NLnet comes back asking about it -- and even
if they can't fund it, it'll help us when making a new funding pitch.

I'd like to focus the effort on users with a strong incentive to work with
the data.

I'm sorry if this comes across as a little brazen, but most map users will
see no reason to use OSM over Google Maps. Pitching to them will be as
effective as converting Windows users to Linux. The effort has to be with
users who need raw data and can't work with pre-rendered tiles.

We have a potential wave of converts among geography departments in colleges
across the country. If we can identify four of them to start with, and fund
mappers from the existing community to go work with them, we'll have a good
sense of whether this approach works.

Best,
Kiran