[Talk-in] Local Chapter for India

Kenneth Gonsalves lawgon at au-kbc.org
Sat Oct 3 14:53:02 BST 2009

On Saturday 03 Oct 2009 1:30:49 pm Kiran Jonnalagadda wrote:
> > Oh! my bad, Kiran's  post came in the same time as mine.
> > Anyways nice set of plans and good proposal.However Four workshops in
> > four regions.is that the plan?
>
> We have to sort that out before NLnet comes back asking about it -- and
> even if they can't fund it, it'll help us when making a new funding pitch.
>
> I'd like to focus the effort on users with a strong incentive to work with
> the data.
>
> I'm sorry if this comes across as a little brazen, but most map users will
> see no reason to use OSM over Google Maps. Pitching to them will be as
> effective as converting Windows users to Linux. The effort has to be with
> users who need raw data and can't work with pre-rendered tiles.

OSM is not about map users, it is about map makers, so the analogy is not
exactly correct.

> We have a potential wave of converts among geography departments in
> colleges across the country. If we can identify four of them to start with,
> and fund mappers from the existing community to go work with them, we'll
> have a good sense of whether this approach works.

which other country which is an OSM power today goes around 'funding mappers
from the existing community'. This whole approach of depending on foreign
funds is b0rked. Anyone who can afford to map - meaning afford a GPS recorder,
can also afford to work with people without being funded. OSM in India should
not be an appendage of NGOs, or dependent on foreign funds. Experience has
shown that such efforts dry up the moment the funds dry up.

Senior Project Officer