[Talk-in] OpenStreetMap workshops

Harshad RJ harshad.rj at gmail.com
Sat Oct 3 18:17:17 BST 2009

On Sat, Oct 3, 2009 at 7:56 PM, Kenneth Gonsalves <lawgon at au-kbc.org> wrote:

> On Saturday 03 Oct 2009 1:48:10 pm Kiran Jonnalagadda wrote:
> > > I am sorry to say that my reaction to this totally negative. Why should
> > > we be
> > > dependent on foreign funds to conduct workshops?
> >
> > I'm not sure I understand you, Kenneth. What does foreignness have to do
> > with it?
> >
> > NLnet's charter says nothing about geography or economics or anything
> that
> > raises the issue of foreignness. They fund any sort of open source or
> > community development activity. We can do a workshop series without them.
> > We can also do it without invoking Indian pride, because that has nothing
> > to do with mapping. By that logic, you should not even use OSM because it
> > is a foreign project mostly built by foreigners with foreign funding.
> Same
> > goes for Python. Where do you stop once you go down this path?
>
> the analogy is not correct. Computers also were not invented in India, so
> we
> should not use them. In fact we should not use anything foreign. We should
> all
> clad ourselves in Khadi and mine salt. In fact I am amazed that you,
> instead
> of facing the concerns I have raised head on, are trivialising the argument
> like this. I am not talking about Indian pride. I am talking about
> sustainability - I have had decades of experience in dealing with this
> issue,
> and believe me, any movement not dependent on self generated funds lasts
> exactly as long as the funds last.

I don't know either of you guys, so sorry for butting into the discussion.

But, Kenneth's argument seems to be inconsistent. If one is worried about
self-sustainability, they should be arguing about not taking funds at all,
rather than from whom funds are taken.

Also, why would seeking external funding preclude the availability of
self-generated funds? They need not be mutually exclusive. Moreover, in this
context, what exactly is "external" funding. Is there any legal body from
whose view point something can be considered "external"?

--
Harshad RJ
WebHome   »   http://hrj.wikidot.com