[Talk-in] Local Chapter for India

Pradeep B V pradeepbv at gmail.com
Sun Oct 4 03:34:34 BST 2009

On Sat, Oct 3, 2009 at 7:23 PM, Kenneth Gonsalves <lawgon at au-kbc.org> wrote:

> On Saturday 03 Oct 2009 1:30:49 pm Kiran Jonnalagadda wrote:
> > I'm sorry if this comes across as a little brazen, but most map users
> will
> > see no reason to use OSM over Google Maps. Pitching to them will be as
> > effective as converting Windows users to Linux. The effort has to be with
> > users who need raw data and can't work with pre-rendered tiles.
>
> OSM is not about map users, it is about map makers, so the analogy is not
> exactly correct.

I believe that OSM is as much about map users as it is about map makers. If
there are are no users then what is the use of making the maps.

Perhaps what Kiran meant to say may be to do with the absence of an OSM map
usage ecosystem which can bring in its own momentum and exposure to OSM and
the process of map making.

- P