[Talk-in] GPS for sale

Kiran Jonnalagadda jace at pobox.com
Fri Jul 16 11:53:31 BST 2010

On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 10:52 PM, Arun Ganesh <arun.planemad at gmail.com>wrote:

> What i do is toss it in my backpack and connect to via blue tooth using
> gpsmid on my phone. I have almost always got a fix with it sitting in my
> backpack and had no reason to take it out, except for switching it off while
> going indoors to save battery. So it is pretty much fire and forget.

I took a train from Hyderabad to Bangalore last evening. My Garmin
Forerunner (a wrist-mounted GPS) had accidentally switched on just before I
got onto the train and recorded the entire route until Bangalore -- packed
up in my bag, under the seat, within the metal shell of the train. The
battery's rated for 10 hours. It lasted 13, despite the obviously very poor
signal, and the trace it made aligns perfectly with your OSM Landsat trace
and with Google Maps.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/40589680
http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/jace/traces/763994

I'm impressed.