[Talk-in] Tagging mains and crosses

Kiran Jonnalagadda jace at pobox.com
Mon Mar 29 13:00:56 BST 2010

2010/3/27 प्रवीण नळे <praveen.nale at gmail.com>

> On Sat, Mar 27, 2010 at 1:43 PM, Kiran Jonnalagadda <jace at pobox.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > I'm editing the JP Nagar area and noticed many roads are named 1 Main, 2
> Main, 3 Main, etc.
>
> I've named it as such assuming it would be easier for search.
>
> Not sure how the search works though - for eg, in the search box on
> openstreetmap.org, if I search for "19 Main, HSR layout", it shows all
> other mains except 19th Main (its suffixed with 'th' - search for
> "19th Main, HSR layout" does give exact results).

Praveen, I think we should tag as per street conventions and get search
fixed to work for it.

I noticed another odd bit: many streets with dividers are in the db as two
parallel one-way roads, resulting in oddities such as this one:
http://osm.org/go/yy4Z9FN84--

I found this earlier discussion:
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/newbies/2009-August/003447.html

What does the list think as the appropriate way to tag divided roads?
Parallel ways work for traffic routing algorithms, but are so much more
work, and don't offer a clean solution for gaps in the divider.