[Talk-in] A-GPS as GPS

Kiran Jonnalagadda jace at pobox.com
Sun May 30 08:45:16 BST 2010

On Sun, May 30, 2010 at 11:43 AM, H.S.Rai <hs at raiandrai.com> wrote:

> Is it will GPS or A-GPS? It seems this much quick fix is only possible
> through A-GPS. With you plan for GPRS, use of A-GPS may be free.

It is AGPS. The assisting is done via Google's location services, which
incidentally is what Firefox also uses for its geolocation API. Here's their
explanation: http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/geolocation/

> Has A-GPS and GPS, A-GPS work only through GPRS, and not through WiFi.

That is correct. On Android, your cell tower information is automatically
sent to Google to determine location (this is a preference setting and is
turned off by default), so the phone always knows where it is.

If you use Google Maps on Nokia, it uses Google's location services. If
you're using Nokia's map app, they may have their own service provider.

Of late, I've noticed that I'm getting geolocation on my home wifi network
too. I suspect this is because Google has recorded a strong correlation
between my GPRS location and my wifi SSID.