[Talk-in] Mumbai Brownfields

Shekhar Krishnan shekhar at mit.edu
Wed Aug 3 07:26:24 BST 2011

All:

I noticed activity in Mumbai recently by Arun Ganesh (PlaneMad) where a
lot of "landuse:brownfield" areas are being traced around various
villages, koliwadas, wadis, slums and mixed-use and industrial settlements.

I know there was some earlier discussion of how to tag so-called "slums"
but "brownfield" is certainly not appropriate, see the tag which is
"land scheduled for new development"
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:landuse%3Dbrownfield

It seems that this tag is being used indiscriminately across any cluster
in Mumbai which appear dense, this covers a wide spectrum of settlements
that all look the same from a satellite image.

While I am always happy to see more people helping map Mumbai -- there
are only a handful of us -- I'm opposed in principle to tagging dense
areas inhabited by 60% of the population as "brownfield".

Best,

S.K.
--

Shekhar Krishnan