[Talk-in] Mumbai Brownfields

Arun Ganesh arun.planemad at gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 10:33:26 BST 2011

On Wed, Aug 3, 2011 at 11:56 AM, Shekhar Krishnan <shekhar at mit.edu> wrote:

> All:
>
> I noticed activity in Mumbai recently by Arun Ganesh (PlaneMad) where a lot
> of "landuse:brownfield" areas are being traced around various villages,
> koliwadas, wadis, slums and mixed-use and industrial settlements.
>
> I know there was some earlier discussion of how to tag so-called "slums"
> but "brownfield" is certainly not appropriate, see the tag which is "land
> scheduled for new development"
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:landuse%3Dbrownfield
>
> It seems that this tag is being used indiscriminately across any cluster in
> Mumbai which appear dense, this covers a wide spectrum of settlements that
> all look the same from a satellite image.

Hi Shekhar, I wanted to do an analysis of how much area such settlements
cover and was tracing the boundaries of these areas. Since there isn't any
agreed convention, i just continued what an earlier user had done in south
mumbai. I was hoping someone like you with better knowledge would bring this
up and propose a more meaningful tag. Replacing tags does not require much
effort.

Going by the wikipedia definition of brownfield
land<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brownfield_land>,
i did not think it was totally inappropriate either. My interest is in
'slums' which have unregulated and unplanned developments (and have been
marked by the government for rehabilitation, clearing and redevelopment).

Shekhar, can you list out the different classes (official and non official)
of such dense settlements which look like slums, what they are locally
called and their description? These areas are of high interest to urban
planners, govt bodies, NGO's etc and having them mapped appropriately will
definitely be a lot of help to different parties.

--
j.mp/ArunGanesh <http://j.mp/ArunGanesh>