[Talk-in] Monuments of India - geographical co-ordinates?

Arun Ganesh arun.planemad at gmail.com
Mon Aug 27 17:33:51 BST 2012

On Mon, Aug 27, 2012 at 8:14 PM, Pradeep Mohandas <
pradeep.mohandas at gmail.com> wrote:

> hi,
>
> I'm a Wikipedian from India. We're doing a competition this September
> called Wiki Loves Monuments (an effort through a competition to get pics of
> various Indian monuments on Wikipedia). We scraped the list of monuments
> defined so by the Archaeological Survey of India here -
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_India/Wiki_Loves_Monuments

Hi Pradeep, this is an amazing list that will be of useful reference. I'm
sure a lot of the items on the list have been mapped out, especially in
Hampi and Mahabalipuram. I'm not sure what is the best way of ezporting the
coordinates to wikipedia though.

With the available tools it looks like too much of a manual effort. How was
this done for other countries participating in wiki loves monuments? Did
they use openstreetmap in some way?

j.mp/ArunGanesh <http://j.mp/ArunGanesh>