[Talk-in] Monuments of India - geographical co-ordinates?

Arun Ganesh arun.planemad at gmail.com
Wed Aug 29 04:11:52 BST 2012

On Wed, Aug 29, 2012 at 7:29 AM, Naveen Francis <naveenpf at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 27 August 2012 22:03, Arun Ganesh <arun.planemad at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On Mon, Aug 27, 2012 at 8:14 PM, Pradeep Mohandas <
>> pradeep.mohandas at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> hi,
>>>
>>> I'm a Wikipedian from India. We're doing a competition this September
>>> called Wiki Loves Monuments (an effort through a competition to get pics of
>>> various Indian monuments on Wikipedia). We scraped the list of monuments
>>> defined so by the Archaeological Survey of India here -
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_India/Wiki_Loves_Monuments
>>>

>> Hi Pradeep, this is an amazing list that will be of useful reference. I'm
>> sure a lot of the items on the list have been mapped out, especially in
>> Hampi and Mahabalipuram. I'm not sure what is the best way of ezporting the
>> coordinates to wikipedia though.
>>
>> With the available tools it looks like too much of a manual effort. How
>> was this done for other countries participating in wiki loves monuments?
>> Did they use openstreetmap in some way?
>>

> Hi Arun,
>
> AFIK WLM team of Romania uses OSM.
>
> http://wikilovesmonuments.ro/2011/12/wikimedia-commons-wiki-loves-monuments-openstreetmap-si-mai-ce/

Using OSM is easy once you have the coordinates, but I'm wondering how they
synced the monument list with the coordinates in the first place. I can
just assume the list already came with coordinates, but in our case we need
to geocode the list which is a bit of a task.

--
 Arun Ganesh
(planemad) <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Planemad>