[Talk-in] Monuments of India - geographical co-ordinates?

Onkar Shinde onkarshinde at gmail.com
Wed Aug 29 07:32:06 BST 2012

On Wed, Aug 29, 2012 at 8:41 AM, Arun Ganesh <arun.planemad at gmail.com> wrote:
> Using OSM is easy once you have the coordinates, but I'm wondering how they
> synced the monument list with the coordinates in the first place. I can just
> assume the list already came with coordinates, but in our case we need to
> geocode the list which is a bit of a task.

If I understood the problem correctly you can approach it in following way.
1. OSM has a key defined 'wikipedia' which will point to a wikipedia
article for any node. [1]
2. Tag all the monuments that are already mapped with this tag
(provided wikipedia page is already present).
3. Use XAPI to retrieve all the nodes which have this tag within the
bbox of India. [2]
4. From this OSM dump you can easily get coordinates using some XML parsing.

Example XAPI query (bbox is small, retrieves one node)
http://open.mapquestapi.com/xapi/api/0.6/node[bbox=72.607,17.639,74.983,19.542][wikipedia=*]

[1] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Wikipedia
[2] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/XAPI#Nodes

Regards,