[Talk-in] Monuments of India - geographical co-ordinates?

Pradeep Mohandas pradeep.mohandas at gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 18:47:03 BST 2012

hi,

There are a couple of issues:
1. The monuments are not clearly defined. In places like Agra, which are
tourist destinations, these can seem a pretty simple proposition. It may be
easy to identify the monument physically by noticing a Archaeological
Survey of India board. I am not sure if such protections or boards exist in
all states (or if they existed, if they are still there).
2. We've found more monuments on the ASI website that includes some of the
more recent monuments (less than 100 years old) which are somewhere in the
care of ASI as well.
3. The principal problem is how do you geo-tag these given that there are
not Wikipedia articles. This is a challenge for Wikipedians as well, as we
need to get down to the task of creating articles for them :). There are
about 3000 listed monuments. No easy task. My rough sense is that less than
10% have Wikipedia articles on them.

warm regards,
Pradeep Mohandas

How Pradeep uses email - http://goo.gl/6v1I9