[Talk-in] Use of official names for cities

Kiran Jonnalagadda jace at pobox.com
Wed Feb 8 06:51:20 GMT 2012

Arun, by that logic Belgaum is part of Maharashtra. The mayor declared it, and the mayor's office is more local than the state government. (The state government responded by holding assembly in the city and announcing plans to construct a parallel to the Vidhana Soudha there.)

FWIW, the state government that proposed renaming Bangalore to Bengaluru was booted out the same month (CM Dharam Singh, Congress) and three successive governments (under Kumaraswamy, Yeddyurappa and Gowda) have shown no interest in completing the process. I don't see how this reflects a choice of the people.

Bangalore's name change is widely resisted. With the notable exception of the airport, the city remains Bangalore pretty much everywhere. Even Wikipedia still uses Bangalore. Bengaluru can be listed as a candidate, but is not official.

I'm with Ishan on sticking to central government approved names for cities.

Kiran

--
Kiran Jonnalagadda
http://jace.zaiki.in