[Talk-in] Data loss due to license change

Sajjad Anwar sajjadkm at gmail.com
Sun Jul 22 06:39:06 BST 2012

Hey,

On Sun, Jul 22, 2012 at 10:49 AM, Arun Ganesh <arun.planemad at gmail.com> wrote:
> I think the osm redaction bot has finished cleaning up India and removed all
> non-odbl data.
>
> From this: http://odbl.de/india.html , I think we lost roughly 2% of the
> data due to the license switch, a good part being in central and south
> Bangalore, due to user:pynam and user:chfrangers who did not accept the new
> license. Its unfortunate that we lost the work of so many, I had tried
> sending them emails and even hunting them on facebook, but without response.

We seem to have lost considerable data in Kerala as well. Same story,
users didn't respond.

> In any case, i guess this is all for the better and the new license opens up
> a lot more opportunities for using the osm data. There's a lot of cleanup to
> do especially in Bangalore due to the missing roads. does anyone know where
> we could get the details of what parts were removed so that it can be fixed?

OSM Inspector should be handy
http://tools.geofabrik.de/osmi/debug.html?view=bot&lon=77.82860&lat=10.79962&zoom=8&overlays=overview,bot_point_modified,bot_line_modified_cp,bot_line_modified,bot_point_deleted,bot_line_deleted_cp,bot_line_deleted

I'll start cleaning up bits of Kerala first and then give you a hand
in Bangalore.

Cheers,
Sajjad.