[Talk-in] Classifying places - cities, towns and villages

I Chengappa imchengappa at gmail.com
Thu May 10 21:14:40 BST 2012

So what should be done with Mandya is to tag it a municipality or whatever
it is using an appropriate tag/value (say x=India:municipality), and
Cambridge (UK I presume) as say (x=UK:city_council). The OSM offers pretty
much free rein to invent and add tags to fit particular circumstances, such
as national designations. What should not be done is to divert a generally
understood global designation such as 'city' that already has the neutral
population definition. Especially to change it to correspond to a mixture
of regional government designations that may change.  Do people in Mandya
believe that Cambridge is more important than their 'town'?

As to the suggestion that the government has an 'official system', please
document where this policy is stated and how it is being implemented. As
with the spelling of names the government (by which is meant a variety of
governments) probably has a wide variety of ad-hoc systems, mostly invented
by local groups of government officers or individual officers on their own
initiative. ** A standard used by the census and not used by the state
governments or in general usage is just that, of use for the census and
nothing else.