[Talk-in] Classifying places - cities, towns and villages

Arun Ganesh arun.planemad at gmail.com
Mon May 14 20:55:06 BST 2012

On Sun, May 13, 2012 at 2:08 PM, I Chengappa <imchengappa at gmail.com> wrote:

> Can you point me to the definition of a city in the MDDS designations
> because I cannot find it?

This is what the http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/India:Places proposal
is about. It is the local body type > place= value mapping that we need to
discuss and decide. And that will solve any further confusion.

> Can we agree that if any such designation is changed from an existing one,
> that the justification should be included. Again I would ask that you
> consider using a tag. Census2011;town or similar, which would deal with all
> such issues without a problem.

I still do not see how using a census tag will solve the primary problem of
which place= tag to use. If I understand correctly this is the guidelines
you want to use?
City: Any UA with more than 100,000 population
Town: 10,000 - 100,000 people
Village: Below 10,000
Hamlet: ?
Suburb: ?

If you have proper definitions for how all the tags should be used for
India please make it clear. There is no point debating over an incomplete
tagging proposal.

> Also, I see that Mandya has a new tag/value of admin_level=5?

This is for indicating that it is an district headquarter.

j.mp/ArunGanesh <http://j.mp/ArunGanesh>