[Talk-in] Rilapp Data for OSM

Arun Ganesh arun.planemad at gmail.com
Sat May 19 14:53:00 BST 2012

I had a quick glance through the files.

*Nodes*: Quite a bit of very useful and mostly new POI's. Schools,
colleges, hospitals, religious places, hotels, neighborhoods. The pois look
like they can be uploaded into osm and are worth the effort. You can use
the following filter in josm to filter these nodes:
*user:anonymous AND type:node -child*
*
*
*Polygons*: Big water bodies, residential areas, parks. This is good data
to merge. The josm filter is:
*user:anonymous type:way -highway=* -railway=* -untagged**
*
*
*
*Ways*: A lot of main and residential roads have been traced from the yahoo
imagery. I could notice slight alignment issues with the bing imagery.
Apart from road shapes, there is no extra information, very few name tags.
I think its best not to import these unless the existing data has nothing.
Merging these will be painful.

I can create seperate osm files with only that data which is useful to
merge. This will make it easier to merge on a city to city basis.
*
*

On Sat, May 19, 2012 at 5:54 PM, Mikel Maron <mikel_maron at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi Everyone
>
> I was put in touch with Himanshu of Rilapp Technologies of New Dehli,
> through the OSM Foundation.
> They deal with GPS vehicle tracking systems, and used collected data to
> created street maps in the following cities:
>
> Agra, Ahmedabad, Allahabad, Bangalore, Bhopal, Chennai, Delhi, Hyderabad,
> Jaipur, Jaunpur, Kanpur, Kolkata, Lucknow, Mumbai, Pune, Surat,
> Thiruvanantpuram, Vadodara, Varanasi
>
> They have actually already downloaded and edited OSM data in JOSM,
> supplemented by the data from vehicle tracking, and GPS survey using Garmin
> handhelds and GPS mobile phones; as well as Yahoo satellite imagery. All
> was prepared in 2009-10.
>
> They've made available all the OSM data in DropBox.
>  http://dl.dropbox.com/u/76410100/All_India_Himanshu_OSM.rar
>
> Anyone interested in looking at this further? Quite a lot of data, but I'm
> not sure how easy to integrate OSM data created from 3 years ago. Also, I'm
> not clear why this wasn't directly uploaded to OSM back then.
>
> -Mikel

j.mp/ArunGanesh