[Talk-in] Police investigating Google's mapathon

Ishan Chattopadhyaya ichattopadhyaya at gmail.com
Fri Apr 5 17:26:06 UTC 2013

Its companies like Google that defame community mapping efforts like ours.
First they try StreetView, which turns Govt. suspiscious about their
motives and then whatever they do is eyed with suspicion. Anyway, I am not
overly disappointed or sad; Perhaps, I'm just happy.

On Fri, Apr 5, 2013 at 10:29 PM, Pradeep Mohandas <
pradeep.mohandas at gmail.com> wrote:

> The similarity exists in that OpenStreetMap also has people, ordinary
> people, collecting this data and uploading it on OpenStreetMap. The modus
> operandi is similar.
>
> Also, the Delhi Police is acting on a complaint lodged by the Survey of
> India that exerts its right as the sole map maker in India. Isn't that in
> conflict with what we're doing on OSM too?
>
> I learnt and contributed to Google Maps before I did to OSM. It was on
> Google Maps that I learnt about OSM. I feel kinda sad with this community
> taking this approach. Mappers must be able to contribute to any platform
> that they wish to. I think this case sorta threatens that freedom.
>
> Anyway, that's just me.
>
> warm regards,
> Pradeep
>

> On 5 April 2013 22:19, Shekhar Krishnan <shekhar at topomancy.com> wrote:
>
>> This is about Google's private data collection efforts, not OSM's public
>> map-building. No need for us in OSM to worry about the Delhi Police. :)
>>

>> S.K.
>>

>> On Friday 05 April 2013 10:05 PM, Pradeep Mohandas wrote:
>>
>>> hi,
>>>
>>> Are people on this list carefully avoiding discussing this? -
>>> http://timesofindia.**indiatimes.com/tech/tech-news/**
>>> internet/Delhi-Police-**investigating-Google-Mapathon/**