[Talk-in] mapping trees

Nagarjuna G nagarjun at gnowledge.org
Sun Dec 14 14:43:46 UTC 2014

On Sunday 14 Dec 2014 6:57:35 PM Arun Ganesh wrote:
> Hi GN, this is awesome, can you share more details on the project and how
> others can participate?

yes.  give me a week, the website is getting ready.  We will be starting this
project with a question to investigate.  The question is to know the serial
killer of rain treen in Mumbai.  About 400 trees died in the last 3-4 years.
So, initially we will be mapping all the rain trees in the city and its
suburbs. We will have about a hundred volunteers and we expect to finish rain
tree mapping by the end of January.  And the investigation will continue.

> > information

> > One has

> > this?
>
> We'll need to make a custom rendering style for this. Nobody seems to have
> looked into this yet.

This is not a show stopper now, but eventually it will be good to have the
information.  I will not focus on this issue at all.  This is just to say,
what do we need in OSM.

> > this

> Looks like this list can be expanded in the iD editor code:
> https://github.com/openstreetmap/iD/blob/master/data/presets/fields/tree_typ
> e.json
>
> You can see the list of commonly used tree tags at
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:natural%3Dtree which could be
> helpful for the mappers.

I looked at this.  We need to record some additional type of information.
e.g. if there is any pest found on the tree.  name of the pest: This is
important for us since the rain trees are dying because of a pest called meal
worm.  The other thing is to note if the tree is situated at a cemented land
or open land.

If one of you can help getting this extra information, or tell us how to
pursue this with OSM, that will be good.  Or else, if you guys can setup a
separate server for this, that is always the best.

btw, what happened to the idea of setting up of a osm.in?

--
GN