[Talk-in] mapping trees

Arun Ganesh arun.planemad at gmail.com
Sun Dec 14 17:10:38 UTC 2014

>> This is not a show stopper now, but eventually it will be good to have the
>> information.  I will not focus on this issue at all.  This is just to say,
>> what do we need in OSM.

 It is actually possible to view the full metadata of objects by using the
query feature tool on osm.org (The question mark on the right side of the
map) http://www.openstreetmap.org/query?lat=19.04236&lon=72.92798

> I looked at this.  We need to record some additional type of information.
>> e.g. if there is any pest found on the tree.  name of the pest: This is
>> important for us since the rain trees are dying because of a pest called
>> meal
>> worm.  The other thing is to note if the tree is situated at a cemented
>> land
>> or open land.
>>
>> If one of you can help getting this extra information, or tell us how to
>> pursue this with OSM, that will be good.  Or else, if you guys can setup a
>> separate server for this, that is always the best.

There is nothing that stops us from defining our own key/value pair for
this purpose and using it. Example:
disease:meal_worm
disease:fungus
foundation:concrete
foundation:dirt

To add such custom tags to objects, once you select an object in the
editor, you will see the tag dictionary on the bottom of the left pane.

I have added such a tag to a tree as an example:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/node/2568585l018

btw, what happened to the idea of setting up of a osm.in?

No volunteers. Instructions are this I think:
http://switch2osm.org/serving-tiles/
I don't mind giving it a shot if someone is willing to risk their server in
my untrained hands :)

 <http://j.mp/ArunGanesh>