[Talk-in] SoI / DST complain against Google.

Arun Ganesh arun.planemad at gmail.com
Fri Dec 19 16:03:52 UTC 2014

On Fri, Dec 19, 2014 at 8:29 AM, Aditya Nag <aditya.nag.2007 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I feel that this problem cannot be solved just by having a separate
> server for OSM India:
>
> (A) We would most probably be using OpenStreetMap's tile servers which
> use planet.osm

We will have our own tileserver and our own tile style, which is the whole
point. The data used is still planet.osm . But the generated tiles are
customized for India

> (B) Even if we use our own tile server, we cannot fork the planet.osm
> file to just change the borders of India. If we do that, we would have
> to change the borders every time we update planet.osm file.

The change needs to be done at the map stylesheet. We just need to ignore
certain border segments so that it is not rendered in the tiles. This is
very simple to do.

The borders would have to be resolved by consulting with the higher
> powers in OSM.
>
> Aditya Nag.
>

> On 17/12/2014, Nagarjuna G <nagarjun at gnowledge.org> wrote:
> > On Tuesday 16 Dec 2014 9:04:12 AM H. S. Sudhira wrote:
> >> I am sure most of you are aware and keeping track of this. Survey of
> India
> >> / DST takes a step on digital maps representing the country's boundary,
> >> files a complaint against Google! It will be interesting to keep a tab
> on
> >> this. More troubles to Google, as this comes after the Mapathon event!
> >>
> >> Here is the official word on this from their Facebook post
> >> <
> https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=894090357277177&id=277739
> >> 112245641&fref=nf>
> >>
> >> It is observed that M/s Google Map is wrongly depicting external
> >> boundaries
> >> of India on maps hosted by them on different domains, namely
> >> http://www.google.cn/maps/@25.7377892,88.726647,4z and
> >> https://www.google.com/maps/@25.1367452,80.1073483,4z , which are not
> >> equivalent to Government of India authentication.
> >> The correct official boundaries of India has been shown at
> >> http://www.surveyofindia.gov.in/fil.../Correct_India_Map_1.pdf
> >> <
> http://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.surveyofindia.gov.in%2Ffiles
> >>
> %2FCorrect_India_Map_1.pdf&h=WAQGS5vQh&enc=AZNiarC7YaARtZIxN5apmQDyhCrncT0hQ
> >>
> 421xHVoYOMJyElRbJHsUeVdEovbwRg31QZYnJ6Nlxdp-UCqmSLCX3ld8SB53waywyaF2gItaG0Td
> >> ekJc3MYlcWOAa79FSP9FFg_KjEMmyIev-1WTmU3DOW9nPxYwx-2JM6D7QOUkFDVxw>
> >>
> >> In this regard, on the instructions of Department of Science &
> Technology,
> >> Survey of India has officially filled a FIR with SHO, PS Dalanwala,
> >> Dehradun on 12-12-2014 at 18:00 hrs requesting them to take appropriate
> >> legal action against M/s Google Maps for displaying incorrect map of
> >> India.
> >
> > osm may also get such a notice if we get popular.  Let us take the need
> > create a separate server for osm.in asap.
> >
> > --
> > GN

 Arun Ganesh
(planemad) <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Planemad>