[Talk-in] Introduction

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Sat Nov 8 05:20:15 UTC 2014

Hi,

I'm an Australian looking at a holiday in India. So I downloaded a map
of India (OSM sourced of course). I was dissapointed by the auto routing
.. so I looked at the OSM source to find that quite a few roads were not
correctly connected. So I've been doing some 'editorials' or
'housekeeping' as I call it. Basicly connecting roads together, adding
bridges (using bing to check them first of course).

For 'error' checking/indication I use
http://tools.geofabrik.de/osmi/?lon=75&lat=28&zoom=6 .. you have to use
the left side box to check various things .. it comes up in default as
'geometry' .. 'routing' is what I use .. it is not infallable but a good
indication. 'Highways' is also usefull. I use JOSM as my editor and use
its validator to obtain the places where things are not connected or
crossing.

---------
I also looked at the Red Fort in Agra .. one contributor has used one
offset in their mapping, while another has used a different offset
(comparing using bing). I do realise that there is a shadow effect due
to the side ways look of bing there. But even so they don't match up.
I'm thinking of trying to tide it up. Unfortunatly neither contributor
has detailed the source of their information so I cannot judge which is
better. Thus I'm inclinde to simple go with Bing .. with no offset.

I've made few additions in places of interest to me. One road I have
deleted -- it was not conneted on eitehr end and went through some tall
buildings .. an obvious error. But mostly connectinmg roads and adding
brigdges. Oh .. and a few railway crossings.

Thanks for you work to the OSM map
Warin