[Talk-in] Automating OSM translation into Indic languages

Srikanth Lakshmanan srik.lak at gmail.com
Mon Apr 6 09:10:59 UTC 2015

Hello,

Great work, I have been thinking this for sometime. I am of the opinion
that place names(towns / villages etc) should be translated and not
transliterated. Arun has a point about locality address as people might be
so used to English, that they find translations in their own language
unusable.

For place names, would it be a good idea to run a script which can look up
wikidata, extract names in multiple language and update OSM? Below is a
sample query for 'Bangalore' in multiple languages.

[1]
https://www.wikidata.org/w/api.php?action=wbgetentities&sites=enwiki&titles=Bangalore&languages=hi|ka|ml|ta|or|mr|gu|te&props=labels&format=xml

Regards
Srikanth.L