[Talk-in] classification for rural roads

Nura Uttelamiak uttelamiak at gmail.com
Sun Mar 29 16:38:06 UTC 2015

Hi All,

thanks for all the feedback.

One thing i forgot to mention is that the classification  (1) i have
mentioned earlier is purely for residential traffic. I don't see anyone
using those roads other than people live on that road or who want to visit
them.  so it matches the
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway%3Dresidential. The only
difference compared to an urban area is that houses are bit spread out  -
in some rare cases you may not see a house in 100-150 meters.  Additionally
these roads shouldn't be used for routing as much as possible even though
it looks like a short cut between bigger roads. So the tag residential
looks ok to me.

For (2) i agree that marking lanes=2 is wrong. But
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:lanes mention that using lanes=1.5
is not the preferred one either. So I will mark it as lanes=1. I will use
additional width tag can be populated to mention that it is narrow.

And as a side note there are a lot of rural roads (that are well maintained
by govt -probably by the local panchayath or municipal authorities) which
has width of only 2m around my place. So as usual the standards say one
thing and ground reality is  different.

thanks,
arun