[Talk-in] Roads in India: How complete is OpenStreetMap ?

Yogesh योगि yogesh at karnatakaeducation.org.in
Mon Nov 23 01:33:10 UTC 2015

Hi Naveen,

> Blog from Mikel shows that in India only 21% of roads are mapped.
> [ref: CIA factbook ]
>
> https://www.mapbox.com/blog/how-complete-is-openstreetmap/
>
> https://gist.github.com/tcql/0d7ad9b32afbea76f615
>
> Is there any further analysis by states or type of road ?

The India:Roads OSM wiki page[1] has some status on the percentage of SH
roads mapped and other details, although I couldn't see much recent
updates on individual State pages except in Karnataka[2] and Kerala[3]
State pages. From the wiki page, it looks like much of the Haryana[4],
Karnataka, Maharastra[5] and Rajasthan[6] State Highways are completed.
But it may also be the case that other States' SH might have been done
but not updated on the OSM wiki page.

[1]https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/India:Roads
[2]https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/India:Roads/Karnataka
[3]https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/State_Highways_%28Kerala%29