[Talk-in] Hello! and offline OSM maps for India in Hindi

Anish Mangal anishmg at umich.edu
Sun Oct 18 14:26:18 UTC 2015

The experimentation was paused for a few days as a failing hard disk was
being replaced. If anyone wants to download generated tiles for offline
usage, you can find sets here:
http://home.braddock.com:28112/

The names of the .tar.gz files should convey the type of tileset. Eg:

world-osmbright-0-11-hi-india-borders.tar.gz
<http://home.braddock.com:28112/world-osmbright-0-11-hi-india-borders.tar.gz>
are tiles for the entire world in the OSMBright style from zoom levels
0-11, with hindi language lables wherever available and india specific
borders (kashmir, arunachal etc.)

the india specific tilesets are available upto higher zooms, so one could
atleast in theory, combine the world tiles till zoom 11 and use the india
specifc ones for higher levels.

next step is to have a base layer set without labels and overlay that with
tiles consisting just labels. haven't had the time to play around with the
xml for that.

In 2-3 weeks we should be at a stage to provide tilesets with custom
settings : lang, regions etc.

If you feel like jumping in and helping, pl do get in touch :-) The next
step is to allow basic GIS through the available open-source tools.
(currently looking at umap, openlayers, leaflet etc.)