[Talk-in] Hello

Arun Ganesh arun.planemad at gmail.com
Tue Feb 9 07:28:19 UTC 2016

On Tue, Feb 9, 2016 at 11:59 AM, Arun Maharajan <arun.maharajan at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Ok, understood.
> So, I had an idea…which is what brought me to OSM in the first place.
> I wish to walk all the streets of Mumbai and catalogue really small or one
> man businesses (who might not have a clear front or a real estate presence)
> and catalogue them along with their mobile number. They might get more
> business and people will know the real backbone of Mumbai better. For e.g.
> the guy who repairs iron boxes, a setup which makes stainless steel dabs by
> hand, a newspaper recycling guy etc.
>
> For this, I found some apps from the OSM help page (Pushpin being one of
> them), where I can during my walks mark POIs on the fly. I am going to try
> this out now.
>
> Can you give me some advice based on your experience on how I can go about
> this in an efficient manner?

Sounds like a fascinating idea. It looks like pushpin would just work the
best for this.

Finding the proper way to tag a lot of these shops might be a challenge.
Also many of them would not even have a physical shop and just be a table
and chair, not sure if anyone has attempted this type of informal feature
mapping before. The closest I can think of is the Map Kibera project in
Nairobi http://mapkiberaproject.yolasite.com/maps-and-statistics.php that
got local people living in a large informal housing settlement to map
themselves on OSM.

The best way to make it more efficient is to get more locals involved.

> On another note, I have some doubts.
>
>    - I wish to document my progress step by step. Also I need to keep
>    track of which streets I covered. Is there an app which keeps track of the
>    route followed?
>
> Any tracking app will do this for you. I use OSM tracker on Android, maybe
something better is available.

>    - Is there some automated way to get the OSM data (route and POIs I
>    may mark) which I collect per day onto a blog automatically..say if I walk
>    10 streets one day and mark 3 POIS, I would like them all to come
>    automatically in a blog entry for that day. Is there any wordpress API
>    integration of some sort for example?
>
> Don't know about this. The alternative is to write a overpass query that
would give these results, and you can just publish a post with a map
screenshot and link to Overpass.

--
Arun Ganesh
(planemad) <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Planemad>